New Delhi is the capital of India and being an old city it has some of the oldest mosques of this country and besides being a place of worship for Muslims, these mosques have also become monuments of historical importance and a large number of tourists come from across the world. One of the major and oldest mosques of Delhi is Jama Masjid which is a property of the Wakfboard and is being managed and administered by Delhi Wakf Board.
Jama Masjid was built by Mughal ruler Shah Jahan in 1656 A.D. and heappointed Syed Abdul Ghafoor Shah Bukhari, who came from Shah of Bukhera (Uzbekistan) the first Imam of the Mosque, to the high office of Imamat-e-Uzma, and conferred upon him the title of Shahi Imam and the current Imam is the 14th descendent to the first imam that was appointed by the Mughal Emperor ShahJahan in a long line of family dynastic appointments.
On the occasion of illegal DESTARBANDI MR. Bukhari addressed to media by stating that : MANE PAKISTAN KE VAJIRE AZAM KO BULAYA HAE LAKIN NARENDER MODI KO NAHE BULAYA Q KE UNHONE MUSELMANO KA DHAYN NAHE REKHA.
Hum Hindu raised some questions : AZADI KE BAAD, SHAHI PANNER YA CHAAP HOTE HAE IMMAM NAHE, YE MASJID HEMARE MALKEYET HAE KISE KE BAAAP KE NAHE HAE JASE CHAHAE VASE ISTMAAAL KARE. PAKISTAN KE VAJIRE AAJAM KO BULAYU AUR SAATH MAE VAPES JAYU.
In this Context Hum Hindu Filed a Writ Petition No 7976 /2014 in the High Court of Delhi at New Delhi with below said prayers.
WRIT PETITION UNDER ARTICLE 226 AND 227 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA SEEKING WRIT ORDER OF DIRECTION IN THE NATURE OF MANDAMUS DIRECTING RESPONDENT NO. 1 TO FOLLOW THE MANDATE OF REGULATION 37 OF DELHI WAKF REGULATIONS, 1963
WRIT PETITION UNDER ARTICLE 226 AND 227 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF INDIA SEEKING WRIT ORDER OF DIRECTION IN THE NATURE OF MANDAMUS DIRECTING RESPONDENT NO. 2 TO NOT USE THE TITLE OF ‘SHAHI IMAM’ AND FURTHER DIRECTING THE RESPONDENT NO. 2 TO NOT CONFER OR TRANSFER THE TITLE ‘SHAHI IMAM’ IN FAVOUR OF ANY OF HIS REPRESENTATIVE AND FAMILY MEMBER
- Because Jama Masjid is Wakf property and only Wakf Board is entitled to make rules and regulations for its functioning.
- Because Only Wakf Board can appoint Imams for conducting of religious meetings.
- Because since now there is no king (shah) there cannot be any post of Shahi Imam.
- Because Respondent No. 2 has no right to carry on as Shah Imam or to confer this title on any other person or any of his family member.
- Because on various occasions Respondent No. 2 has used his position to advance his political motives.
- Because Jama Masjid is a public property and cannot be used for individual gain of any person.
- Because Respondent No. 2 has repeatedly tried to mould personal opinions of muslims in favour of political parties.
- Because Respondent No. 2 has tried to disrespect the prime minister of the country who has tried and maintained communal harmony between the people.
EFFECT OF HUM HINDU: Notice issued to respondents and court that the anointment ceremony of Jama Masjid Shahi Imam’s son as the Naib Imam (deputy Imam) was “illegal” and has no legal sanctity